Traditional Hand Layered Zirconia
Nakanishi offers layered zirconia restorations as a superior alternative to traditional PFM or full cast crowns. Our team crafts these crowns by layering highly esthetic porcelain over a zirconia substructure. This restoration provides comparable strength to PFM crowns and eliminates the associated esthetic challenges that are common to metal-based options. Porcelain and zirconia are both highly esthetic and translucent, which eliminates the risk of discoloration or the dark metal appearing along the gingiva. We utilize advanced CAD/CAM technology to ensure every case is fulfilled with consistent and accurate fit.
- Lifelike Coloration
- Natural Translucency
- Eliminates Esthetic Challenges
- Comparable Strength to PFMs
A CAD/CAM substitute for traditional PFM, our porcelain-fused-to-zirconia can be used for anterior and posterior crowns, crowns over implants, and bridges of up to fourteen units.
- Attachment cases
- Cases with less than 1 mm clearance
- Patients who have broken a PFM crown
- Cases that require bonding
The ideal preparation for PFZs is a chamfer margin preparation. If a porcelain labial margin is prescribed, then a shoulder margin preparation is required. Feather-edge margin preparations are indicated for full-cast restorations.
- Resin Ionomer cement (RelyX or RelyX Unicem, 3M ESPE)
- Maxcem Elite (Kerr)
- Panavia F 2.0 (Kuraray) - ideal for short, tapered preparations
- Glass ionomer cement (GC Fuji, GC America)
If an adjustment is required on the ceramic, use a fine diamond with water and air to keep the crown cool. To contour the ceramic, polish with a pink rubber wheel and diamond polishing paste (Brasseler, Shofu, Vident).
ADA Insurance Codes
- D2740 Crown - porcelain / ceramic substrate